Wednesday, November 7, 2012

My Personal Take Away From the Elections...

I sat up late last night and watched the numbers come in during the election.  As I watch different networks and my social media feeds a number of thoughts came through my mind about the great nation that we call The United States of America.  Here are just some of them and how we as Christian Americans should address the coming days of our nation.

1.  Social Media does not always bring people together.
I am the absolute worst at this! (The reason it is #1)  Especially in the fall when elections and college football season are happening it is easy for me to get on my Facebook and Twitter and blast how I feel about a situation and others to the world.  I have to constantly remind myself of James' message in James 1:19-20, "Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger;  for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God." 
I have found that often times my first reaction in this situation is anger toward anyone who holds a view that is opposite of my own.  I must remember that every time I send out a post it has, as a follower of Christ, the ability to either draw others to the gospel or push them further away from it.  Therefore, we must constantly use the availability of Social Media to to bring people together, and in turn, move together toward Christ.

2.  We all need to lay down our swords and come together in love for God and one another. 
First, I am not saying that Christians should give ground on their values or morals.  Christians should hold their biblical values and morals above all else when they head into a voting booth.  However, what I am saying is that both sides need to give and take on issues in order to push the country forward.  People should not back down on their core, top tier values but instead reach a hand out to someone on the other side with love and compromise in order to do what is best for the country.  Jesus calls us all to "Love the Lord our God and love our neighbor as ourselves". (Matthew 22:37-39)  Love shows compassion and is constantly striving to live cohesively together for the betterment of everyone involved.  If I continually love others as Christ loved them, it becomes easier to work together.

3. We MUST support our President, Barack Obama!
Support does not mean blindly following everything that he believes.  However, it does mean that we are to love and pray for him constantly.  If I am constantly praying for someone I find it very hard to harbor anger against them.  Scripture calls Christ followers to submit to the government and pray for its leaders because God has put these leaders in position for His will to be done.  (Romans 13:1, 1 Timothy 2:1-3)


I urge everyone to take time everyday to pray for all of our government leaders; whether they be local, state or national.  This is one of the most profound ways to show that you love and care for someone.  Whether we agree with the policy of our politicians or think they make the wrong decision in every situation, we are still called to pray and submit to these officials.  

-H.M. Mathis

No comments:

Post a Comment