Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Baseball Season is finally here!

 Now that Baseball season has finally arrived after a cold and boring winter here are some of H.M. Mathis' favorite Baseball quotes to get you into the mood for the season.

"You can only milk a cow so long, then you're left holding the pail." -Hank Aaron

"I don't know if he throws a spitball but he sure spits on the ball." -Casey Stengal

"Most ball games are lost, not won." -Casey Stengal

"The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers." -Earl Weaver

"I am dead set against free agency. It can ruin baseball." -George Steinbrenner

"Hell, if KY jelly went off the market, the whole California Angels pitching staff would be out of baseball." -Spaceman Bill Lee

"I went through baseball as "a player to be named later." -Joe Garagiola

"All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it. I get back to the dugout and they ask me what it was I hit and I tell them I don't know except it looked good." -Babe Ruth

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." -Pete Rose

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." -Bob Uecker

“You win some, you lose some, and some get rained out”  -Bob Polewski

“One of the beautiful things about baseball is that every once in a while you come into a situation where you want to, and where you have to, reach down and prove something.”  -Nolan Ryan

"Bob Gibson is the luckiest pitcher I ever saw. He always pitches when the other team doesn't score any runs." -Tim McCarver

"Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster." -Joe Adcock

“It ain’t the arrow, it’s the Indian.”  -Bob Polewski

"Never root for a team whose uniforms have elastic stretch waistbands." -Susan Sarandon

"There ain't much to being a ballplayer, if you're a ballplayer." -Honus Wagner

"There are two theories on hitting the knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither one of them works." -Charlie Lau

"The way to catch a knuckleball is to wait until the ball stops rolling and then to pick it up." -Bob Uecker

"Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer."  ~Ted Williams

"Let's play two." -Ernie Banks

"Yogi (Berra), I came up here to hit, not to read."  -Hank Aaron, 1958 World Series answer to Berra after being told to turn his bat around so he could 'read' the label and not break the bat.

"I'd be willing to bet you, if I was a betting man, that I have never bet on baseball." -Pete Rose

"The baseball mania has run its course. It has no future as a professional endeavor." -Cincinnati Gazette editorial, 1879

The all-time greatest quote master of all time:  Yogi Berra

“The other teams could make trouble for us if they win.”

“You observe a lot by watching.”

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical."

 “Third ain't so bad if nothin' is hit to you.”

“Slump? I ain't in no slump. I just ain't hitting.”

"Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded."

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did."

"All pitchers are liars or crybabies."

“Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets.”

-H.M. Mathis

No comments:

Post a Comment